I wrote a blog post at the beginning of the year about how I wanted to start this year "not shopping." It's time for an update on my progress!
Personal Guidelines of What "Not Shopping Includes"
- Clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, anything worn on the body
- Rugs, lamps, frames, anything used as an accessory for my home
- Products for hair, nails, body, bathroom, kitchen
- Presents/gifts for others
Exceptions to the Guidelines
- Essential Oils
- Products I run out of (i.e. shampoo, dish soap.)
- Groceries and things from the grocery store (i.e. toilet paper, batteries, light bulbs)
- Books for studying (not magazines, or coffee table books)
- Experiences with others (i.e. going places, doing things.)
I am pretty excited about this, I started roasting my own coffee! My brother and SIL bought me a hand roaster for Christmas as well as some green beans to play with. I mean, buying coffee is on my "ok list" but being able to make it at home has been really fun. Learning about light, medium, and dark roasts and drinking such fresh coffee, roasted, and ground in the same day, freshest I've ever had!
I have a few things in my "mending" pile that need to be loved on so I can continue to use them. I veggie dyed some hand towels, which are lovely. I am still working out the process so hopefully I will have something to share! My picture frame above my dining room table is still only craft paper with no art. It nice and clean to look at and I am waiting for inspiration to strike.
Cale had a fancy work dinner in January. Last year I borrowed a dress but bought a new pair of shoes. This year I borrowed a dress but ended up wearing a dress I've worn before to several other events and the shoes I bought last year. I really wanted to go buy something new but by the end of the night I realized it didn't even matter. I actually liked having another reason to wear the dress I already owned.
In January it got very cold in our bedroom and I couldn't take another 6:30am with my feet on the wood floor. SO I took my rug from under my dining room table and stuck it in my bedroom for the temporary cold spell. It totally worked and gave my room a brand new feel. A few weeks later a really kind rug fairy gifted me a rug that was no longer in use. So now I feel super loved and my toes aren't frozen first thing.
- I've had the itch to buy these shoes for awhile now and the itch seems bigger lately. I haven't bought them, and I won't. I just wanted you to know that I am feeling very tempted.
- I've decided I no longer want to wear v-neck tee-shirts and would like to invest in a couple simple crew neck tees.
- I am dreaming of simplifying my yoga tank top collection from less "fitnessy" colorful tops to simple sleek tops that will layer better with other clothes like dresses and skirts.
I am keeping this list to check back with later and decide if I still want/need these things. We did have to buy this, because now that I am roasting coffee I would like to grind it.
I actually feel very good about this practice. I have had to let go of a few feelings of fear, we shopped with some friends and the sale rack was screaming my name, I desperately wanted to buy something because what if I couldn't find it on sale later? I have had to get over my fear of not having what I need, and ask people for help, to borrow instead of buy. I am realizing owning, shopping, buying things is an ego trip for me. I feel that if I have all the right stuff than I am a competent adult. That I am "doing well". Which is just silly, I am doing well period. It doesn't matter if I have the proper funeral dress or sewn hole in my sock. This little experiment is lifting a weight off me, I feel light, like I am making a good decision for my family and my future dreams. I plan to keep going until April, and I have a faint desire to make it until September, but we will see.