I turn 28 today. That marks 10 years of adulthood. I was having my senior pictures (including the one above) taken ten years ago. There isn't necessarily an iconic photo for each year, nor are there consistent highs and lows for each time I circled the sun. Some revolutions were more eventful than others. Nonetheless, here are a few little tidbits from the past decade:
- I graduated from Nothside high school in 2008 and Indiana University in 2012. I have super fond memories of both, especially the people and all the creative projects and performances.
- I've lived in 7 places—three of them historic apartments I loved so much! Part of me just wants to find a place and stay there for the next decade, but we'll see. Moving has its perks.
- I've owned 2 little cars, a black Mazda Millenia and a silver Ford Fusion. Still dreaming about a Mini Cooper.
- I went to 3 Harry Potter midnight premieres and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter 3 times!
- I inherited five brothers-in-law and two sisters-in-law, bringing my sibling total to 12!
- I became an aunt to three nieces, and two nephews, and another nephew joins us next month!
- I started two (or three?) blogs. This one is by far my favorite. Yay for having a co-author!
- I worked for three very different companies, before starting my own business, which has grown and changed so much over the last three years. I love working for myself!
- I finished Gossip Girl, Lost, Pretty Little Liars, and Gilmore Girls...and have managed to stay caught up on Game of Thrones and Outlander. For a kid who didn't watch TV growing up, I feel like these accomplishments are worth a mention.
- There were four trips to Disney World, each of them better than the last, seriously.
- I traveled overseas to the U.K. for the first time, and used my passport to visit Canada and the Bahamas.
- I experienced half of this decade without my Gramma Susie. I couldn't have imagined that at 18, or that I would still feel so close to her since she passed on. My mom took my sisters and I on a Disney Cruise to celebrate her.
- I'm embarassed to admit that I spent thousands of dollars on makeup and skincare and started a beauty channel on YouTube. It's worked out for my friends whenever they need special occasion makeup done though. And I'd do it all again since it reconnected Cord and I after 7 years apart. "Of course I'd love to do your wedding makeup, and be your best friend, and co-author a blog together. I love you!"
- I've been to 2 pro baseball games, the Braves in 2013 and the Indians this year (honorable mention for Mitch).
- I went on a pretty epic journey of love, which I also didn't expect. It brought me to the family and sense of belonging I always longed for. Mitch and Phoenix are the craziest kind of magic.
On my birthday last year I decided not to watch the clock as time unfolded. I invited my 27th year to not hold back, to change me as it would. It did, though not in the dramatic and impressive ways I secretly hoped. No, it was subtle. It has requested patience and stillness, and somewhat boring and tedious plugging along. As Mitch has focused on completing his investment house, I've focused on having dinner made. As we outgrew our apartment, I focused on making peace with home ownership again, while my soul still longs for the old apartment building, noisy neighbors, small nooks, and the community laundry room. I've watched my baby turn into a toddler, struggled through sleep training and teething, and laughed and cried as I turned over each month in his baby book. I've written, rewritten, deleted, published, and put thoughts in drafts I'll never finish. This quiet, day-in-day-out living with some all-nighters thrown in, changed me in its own sneaky way.
And now it's your turn 28. What secrets do you know? What moments do you hold? You're up. Let's find out.